Strawberries were the favorite fruit of the French court. Louis XIV held a poetry contests on the topic of the fruit and Marie Antoinette’s favorite dessert was a bowl of strawberries with whipped cream.
For the muffins:
3 large eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup AVOCARE Extra Virgin Basil Avocado Oil
¼ cup milk
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
12 strawberries, hulled (halved or quartered if large)
fresh basil for garnish
For the coconut whipped cream:
1-14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, chilled
2 teaspoons confectioners sugar
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. This step is key!
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 16 muffin tins with basil avocado oil.
- Beat eggs with sugar, AVOCARE Extra Virgin Basil Avocado Oil, milk, orange zest and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Gradually beat dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into the greased muffin tins, filling only halfway. Place a strawberry into each cup, pushing down only a little. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool before inverting onto a platter.
- While the cupcakes are baking prepare the whipped coconut cream. Remove the can of coconut milk from the refrigerator and flip it upside down. Open the can and pour out the liquid sitting at the top. (You won’t need it for the whipped cream but save it for a smoothie.) Scoop out the chilled coconut cream into the bowl of an electric mixer, add the confectioners sugar and whip until creamy and fluffy.
- Serve the muffins with a dollop of whipped coconut cream and garnish with a fresh basil leaf.
Makes 16 muffins