Elizabeth Hopson, guest blogger at Celebrating Health by Claudia Zapata, crafted this delicious recipe for Slow-Cooker Eggplant Parmesan that features AVOCARE Extra Virgin
Avocado Oil. Her original posting can be found HERE. Enjoy!
2T Avocare avocado oil
1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
1T dried (or fresh) oregano
salt & pepper
1 onion diced
2 large carrots, diced or in large slivers
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 cup mushrooms sliced
2 cloves garlic chopped
red pepper flakes (1/4 to 1 tsp; adjust to your liking)
1 cup white wine
1 cup skim milk ricotta cheese
1 cup basil torn
1T lemon juice
1 16-ounce can tomato sauce
1 eggplant, sliced
Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a pan on the stove, brown the ground turkey in the avocado oil. Season the turkey with salt, pepper, and oregano. Once browned, set the turkey aside. (If you want to make this a vegetarian meal, omit the turkey.)
- In the same pan, sauté the onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Add the turkey back into the pot and deglaze the pan with the white wine. Once half of the wine is reduced, add in the tomato sauce, give it a stir, and take it off the heat. Check the sauce for seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta, basil, lemon, egg, and honey.
- You are ready to layer! Drizzle a little avocado oil on the bottom of your slow cooker, and add a layer of the sauce. Next, add a layer of eggplant, followed by more sauce, then ricotta with a sprinkle of parm, and repeat until you are out of ingredients. I was able to make it through 3 layers.
- Allow the eggplant parm to cook on low for 8 hours.
- I served the eggplant with blanched green beans and quinoa pasta. Enjoy!