Feta is the best known of Greek cheeses. Sharp and salty, feta is traditionally made from sheep’s milk or a combination of sheep and goat’s milk. It is made in large blocks with are salted, sliced, salted again, and packed into containers for a month in the salty whey.
For the feta spread:
- 1 baguette, sliced
- ½ pound feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons AVOCARE Extra Virgin Basil Avocado Oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons basil, coarsely chopped
- pinch pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more as needed
For the topping:
- 3 roasted red peppers, diced (or a 12 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained and chopped)
- ½ pint of grape tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- AVOCARE Extra Virgin Basil Avocado Oil for drizzling
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the bread into ½-inch thick slices, lightly brush with AVOCARE Extra Virgin Basil Avocado Oil and toast, 8 to 10 minutes, until light golden brown.
- In a food processor, combine the feta cheese, basil avocado oil, garlic, basil and red pepper flakes and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine diced tomatoes, roasted red peppers, olives, garlic, basil, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Immediately before serving, spread a layer of feta spread on the baguette slices and top with roasted red pepper, tomato and olive mixture. Drizzle with AVOCARE Extra Virgin Basil Avocado Oil and sea salt and serve.
This recipe is from AVOCARE spokesperson, Maite Gomez-Rejón. Visit her site ArtBites here.