Related to garlic and onion, leeks are native to the Near East and have been prized by gourmets for thousands of years. The Roman Emperor Nero believed leeks would improve his singing voice and is said to have eaten large quantities to that end.
1 pound leeks, chopped, white and light green parts only
2 tablespoons AVOCARE Extra-Virgin Avocado Oil, plus more for frying
2 tablespoons flour
5 to 6 sprigs dill, stemmed and chopped
8 ounces feta cheese, mashed with a fork
- Sauté the leeks in about 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat until very soft.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the flour until well blended. Add pepper and chopped herbs and mix well.
- Fold in the mashed feta and leeks into the eggs.
- Film the bottom of a nonstick frying pan with oil and pour about 2 tablespoons of the mixture to make a few fritters at a time. Turn each over once and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot or cold.
This recipe is from AVOCARE spokesperson, Maite Gomez-Rejón. Visit her site ArtBites here.