This recipe is a variation of the traditional Catalan tapa, Pan con Tomate (Tomato Toast) and the popular avocado toast. Made in the La Mancha region of Spain, Manchego is a sheep’s cheese aged between 60 days and two years. It can only be made using the whole milk of sheep of the Manchega breed that are raised on registered farms within a designated area. Cervantes mentioned the cheese in his famous 17th century literary tale, Don Quixote de La Mancha.
- 1 baguette
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved crosswise
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 avocados, mashed
- ½ pound Manchego cheese
- AVOCARE Extra Virgin Garlic or Chipotle Avocado Oil for drizzling
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the bread into ½-inch thick slices, lightly brush with AVOCARE Extra Virgin Avocado Oil and toast, 8 to 10 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Remove bread from oven and rub garlic over the hot toast.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and rub the open face of the tomatoes into the bread slices until the flesh is gone. Discard the skins.
- Smear about two tablespoons of avocado over each prepared toast. Grate the cheese over the avocado. Lightly drizzle with your AVOCARE Extra Virgin Avocado Oil of choice, sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
This recipe is from AVOCARE spokesperson, Maite Gomez-Rejón. Visit her site ArtBites here.